4.06.2014

a sunday at home

so sometimes i take pictures (alright, like, all the time) and then decide to use them for IG and then realize the IG post is turning into more of a blog post and then i wish i would have known it would turn into a blog post so i could have taken more/better pictures to begin with...does that make sense? just had to put that out there. any who...



i hope you're enjoying a beautifully relaxing sunday with your family. we are trying to be more intentional with our sundays. trying not to plan things for that day. trying to be together without an agenda. it's so hard. but it's worth it when it works. a true day of rest.

today: after church we headed to my mom's for lunch. after inviting us, i realize how long it had been since we had done that. actually, i couldn't remember the last time we did that. it had been too long then. the memory of her fried chicken filling the house with its aroma, the sound of the mixer mashing the potatoes, and the sudden hope of cream corn from their garden flew to mind. there's nothing quite like going home.

there's something special about this season of our lives. about our parents becoming grandparents. about our kids getting to know our moms & dads. about my babies staying the night in the home i grew up in. sleeping in my old room. playing in my yard.

there's something special about sitting at a table with my husband and my sister discussing life, school & puppies. about missing my brother & texting him about what in the world our neighbors dogs name was (i'm pretty sure it started with a "c"). about my baby sister & i realizing we have the same shirt and talking about the books we've just read.

there's something special about being an adult in my parents life. about sharing the same concerns they do. struggling with the same things they do. sharing what God's doing in both our lives. something special about conversing with my dad about his retirement plans and getting to be a part of that transition in his life.

there's something special about overhearing my dad talk to my daughter about the importance of baptism now that she has the Holy Spirit living in her heart. listening to my mom remind my son for the third time to wash up before eating. something special about them making memories of their own together. getting to know each other. learning from each other.

yup, there's something special in this season alright and there's nothing quite like going home.  


Pay close attention, friend, to what your father tells you;
never forget what you learned at your mothers knee.
Wear their counsel like flowers in your hair,
like rings on your fingers.

Proverbs 1:8-9



No comments:

Post a Comment